Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Quilts from Christmas Past

Colin and I made a lap quilt for his mum last Christmas.  At the time my camera was broken so it was not until recently that I was able to take a picture of it. I had actually completely forgotten what it looked like it had been so long! 
We made the quilt out of scraps of fabric that I had laying around.  Colin chose what colours he liked and we both collaborated on the overall design and layout. 




Colin cut the squares, and sewed the blocks together. I sewed it all together.  Right after I had started sewing the three layers together Colin had a brilliant idea about sewing a treble clef on the back since his mum is a music teacher.  I didn't feel like like undoing what I had already sewn, so I told him to cut out another piece  of the backing and put the treble clef on that.
Colin traced and cut out a treble clef, hand sewed it to a piece of fabric and them sewed it on the back.
    It was not until after he was done that we realized it was not in the center, but I thought it was cute since Colin did all of the work for his mum.  It reminded me of when a child makes something for a parent, so much love and thought goes into it even thought it does not turn out perfect.  

Colin's mum loved it anyhow, which I was sure she would.

2 comments:

  1. That is a lovely quilt...Its always nice to have a wonderful finish!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete